Saturday, February 21, 2009

Testing Time and Showing Off


I think I figured out the time stamp thing. We will see if this says 9:36 or so or if it's still wrong.
I am "showing off" by posting an older piece that I am very happy with and just want to share with as many people as I can. In the SCA (http://www.sca.org/ ) when someone gets an award they get a scroll. I do scrolls, usually on real velum (the animal skin not the paper) based on Book of Hour pages. This is a Knighting scroll but it is an actual wooden shield. It is 38 x 25, curved wood. It is based on parade/decorative Shields from the Renaissance. I based it on the Archangel Michael from the triptych "The Virgin adoring the Child, the Archangel Raphael with Tobias and the Archangel Michael" by Pietro Perugino, 1500-1505, Florence. The face has been changed and is based on a drawing of a young man by Michelangelo. This was painted entirely in the Renaissance fashion with underpainting and layers and layers to get the colors and shading right. It is acrylics but still very period in all other ways. The words for the scroll are around the border in gold. The person who got this was happy with it and others also complimented me on it. This was done about 3 years ago now and I have 2 more Shields and want to do something else in this style soon.



4 comments:

  1. Tristan:

    That's an amazing painting. I really like the wing detail, as usual. And knowing that's it essentially a series of washes to create the highlights and shadows is really impressive.

    Two things: First, in the future, you may want to seal the wood a little better before painting it; I can see where some of the grain is beginning to peel, probably from the water in the acrylics. Yes, sealing the wood will require a LOT more work -- sealing, sanding, resealing, resanding, ad nauseum -- but I believe you'll be quite happy with the end result.

    Second: Would it be possible to post the text of the inscription here? It's just impossible to read along the bottom and along the left half.

    Keep up the excellent work!

    (Oh, I'm posting this at 9:55 a.m. MST; I'm two hours behind you. But we'll see how it appears.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, thanks. The problem with sealing the wood is that it then repels the paint. The wood is gessoed, which is how they did it in period. While the grain shows on this, it did in the period peices as well. The whole thing is sealed afterwords of course.
    Here are th words, I wrote them myself based on a few period things; "To all and singular nobles and gentles pay heed, We Cuan and Padraigin, King and Queen of Atlantia here command your attention. Faith, Hope, Charity, Justice, Prudence, Strength and Temperance, these are the seven virtues of a Knight. By Our will and with the voice of Our Order of Chivalry do we charge Dagonet De Marlowe to live by these words,for we acknowledge his chivalry and martial prowess and hereby elevate him to the rank of Knight of the Society. Further we affirm by letters Patent his right to bear the arms; Sable, a wolf passant argent between three crescents Or. This we have done on the 15th day of March, A.S. XXXVII in witness whereof We set Our hands."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tristan, from a member of the "Order of Saint Michael," that's a fantastic painting!
    It's almost enough to make me want to rejoin the SCA (I was a member in 1973) but...not quite.

    ReplyDelete