Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Katrina Tribute


After Katrina hit New Orleans I thought I would do a picture to sell and give the proceeds to some charity to help the people there. It was 2 years later that I finished this picture. I finally sold it at a convention last year but did not give any money to anyone. It seems that the idea of doing art to raise money just didn't work as I had hoped. Also with all the problems and trouble of the different groups "helping" after the storm, I had no clue who to send it to.
This is about 16 x 20 on Canson board in acrylics, watercolor colored pencil and Prisma color. I wish I could have gotten a better scan/picture of it but this is about the best I could get. I may play with it some on the computer and try to clean it up more but that is not something I am very good at.
"New Orleans Defiant"

2 comments:

  1. Tristan:

    This is a nicely balanced work. I liked the details of the beads of sweat on the man, but I wondered whether he was crying or if what looked like tears was, in fact, more sweat.

    Also, the three flares -- are these to simulate lens flares (or specks of dust on the lens), or are they supposed to be three ghost orbs?

    It's a shame that you couldn't find a good group to which to donate the proceeds; you could always give to the Red Cross, though, or to the Salvation Army. Both groups were quite instrumental in helping with the recovery in New Orleans. Just a thought.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, the water on him could be sweat or water (as he is in water) and there could be tears as well. The three flares are ment to simulate lens flares.
    As for donation, if I ever get a good enough version and sell some prints I will see what I can do about donating to some group that can truely help those people rebuild.

    ReplyDelete