Friday, August 28, 2009

A Tempest Brewing


With the stormy weather we are expected to have this weekend I thought I would show one of my favorite Shakespeare characters and the quote that inspired 2 pictures so far. From "The Tempest" act 1 scene 2;
"All hail, great master! grave sir, hail! I come To answer thy best pleasure; be't to fly, To swim, to dive into the fire, to ride On the curl'd clouds, to thy strong bidding task Ariel and all his quality."
I did this in 1998, it is Acrylic and watercolor colored pencil on illustration board 7 x 15 (or close to that). I think I like almost everything about this picture.

3 comments:

  1. I like it too! Especially the antennae above his eyes, which makes him look quite inhuman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, those "antennae" started on my "Oberon" and carry through on "Titania", "Godbug" and several fairy pictures done in similar style to each other. Even though I see Ariel as more a Elven, Sprite thype character I thought they gave him an unworldly look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too! I'm a sucker for flames on a dark background, so the colors are just lovely to me. And what a marvelous quote! Makes me want to reread The Tempest ... it's been at least ten years. :)

    ReplyDelete