Thursday, June 18, 2009

Different Egyptian Gods


Akira Shima also known as Theddy wanted to see me do a picture of Nefertem. He is the Egyptian God of the Sunrise and Perfume, the blue lotus is his symbol. His mother (in one story) is Sekhmet (the other Cat Goddess). He was most often shown as a beautiful boy, seems like my kinda god...but Theddy wanted the Lion headed version (rare but not unusual). I got a great elongated octagonal frame and it just seemed right for doing this picture for (that is why it has an odd shape).

The gold in the corners is filler and not part of the actual picture. "The Light of Nefertem", 14 x 19, Acrylic, watercolor colored pencil and Pro White on Canson board. 37

5 comments:

  1. hello from Portland Oregon. I just surfed on to your blog & I am glad I did. I really like & admire your work.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Stephen! I hope you have looked at all my entries and will continue to follow my weble. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, he turned out well. The pool makes for a nice background too.

    The pillars look Greek rather than Egyptian, but thanks to Alexander the Great, it still works.

    I have to admit I'd never heard of Nefertem before, so thanks for the background on him. It's nice to know there's a male cat-headed god, as well as Bast & Sekmet.

    Also, I'm sure you could do a very nice "beautiful boy" version of Nefertem too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lostsatyr, thanks. The pillars may look Greek but I do my homework and research and they are actually Lotus pillars, some of the oldest style Egyptian pillars (due to the size of the picture and where they cut off, you don't get to see the details that wuld make that clearer). I am sure I will do a "beautiful boy" version sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I had been thinking of a later pillar style, that has the closed lotus blossom at the top of the column.

    And I'll admit to being interested in seeing Nefertem's alternate "beautiful" form too.

    ReplyDelete