Friday, March 27, 2009

Twin Frame


This was done for the second of the unique shaped frames I found at Good Will. This time I decided to do the work vertical instead of horizontal. Most of my art just happens! I almost never have a clear idea of what I am going to paint before I start. Most often I have a photo that parks some idea or that has lighting or a face or a pose I like and my art grows from that. In this case the whole central part of the "story" of the picture and the title feature itself came last. I had the pose and even found a great picture that inspired the background but even after all that I had NO idea what he was holding! I tried many ideas and finally it hit me. I did the baby Leviathan and then encased him in the egg. While many of the details were obscured once I added the clear egg shell, it made it work how it had to. His armband and the drops of water are some of my favorite details in this one. The same size as "Dragon Hunter", on Canson board in Acrylic and watercolor colored pencil. "Leviathan's Egg"

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered about the, uh, reproductive anatomy of mer-folk. I never thought the males would have external genitalia, I figured for the sake of streamlining in water, they would be hidden in a pouch or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone hides them in a pouch, I like mine showing! Streamlining is not a problem, belive me as a male I know that the genitalia don't get in the way or cause friction underwater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well there is a theory that humans got thier straightened spines from a evolutionary stint in water. and there is some evidence for this in our physiology as we have little flaps that if pushed back cover our ear canals. some people can close their nose at will. still others are born with webbed appendages which usually only happens in species that are bred for or descended from semi aquatic species. another of those traits is the fact that unlike nearly all other animals that are strictly terrestrial we have genitals that retract in water (particularly cold water) which stream line us better for water movement. also it would seem that from archeological records we seem to be getting hairier not losing it. it would have slowed us down in the water but is needed for land.

    as it is similar traits are bieng seen amoung a species of water loving monkey. they swim in the shallows of the ocean they live near to eat crabs and lobsters and other shellfish.

    ReplyDelete